When you are recovering from stoma surgery, life needs to be as stress free as possible so you can recuperate peacefully in the comfort of your own home. You will be guided by your Stoma Care Nurse for the first few months as you are trialling sample products. After this time and when you have settled on a product, the easiest solution is to register with a stoma delivery service who will ensure everything is delivered to your door each month, so you don’t have to venture out to collect anything. Your Stoma Care Nurse will help you with this.
Those who are further along their stoma journey will be established with their monthly deliveries and find that the system usually runs smoothly. Remembering to collect your stoma products from the local pharmacy each month can be an added inconvenience for those with busy lives. So, registering with a Stoma Delivery Service will ensure you have enough products on your doorstep, when you need them. It will also give you peace of mind that you won’t run out!
Covid-19 has also added to the worries of venturing out especially for those with a stoma who are vulnerable or who need to shield, many find themselves at home avoiding public places and asking a relative or friend to help do their shopping for them. The worry of having to go to your local pharmacy to collect all your stoma supplies can be made so much easier by switching to a stoma delivery service, therefore reducing the risk of picking up the virus.
Benefits of using a stoma specialist service:
- There are many advantages of using a home delivery service such as it being a very swift and discreet service, no one will know what is in the plain brown box being delivered to you. It is also easy to use and saves you a lot of time. The service costs you nothing as it is completely free service for all users no matter what age you are.
- Simply order via the delivery companies freephone (0800 number) from a landline, or alternatively you can email, use the website or post
- They may be able to arrange a prescription collection service – you simply need to inform your GP of which Stoma Delivery Service you are using, so they know who will be contacting them about your prescription. Some surgeries unfortunately do not allow this.
- You can order from wherever you are within the UK. So, if you are unpacking when arriving on holiday and you realise to your horror that you’ve have either forgotten your stoma equipment or haven’t brought enough, simply pick up the phone to your delivery service and they will get them to you as soon as possible.
- If you feel you may have issues remembering each month to place another order for all your stoma items, have a chat with the delivery company as they will be happy to set up a standard order for you each month on a set date, they will call you before the order is generated to check how much you will need and as a gentle reminder your products will be on their way.
- Living with a stoma can be daunting, so if you just need a friendly voice to help you through the ordering process don’t hesitate to give your Delivery Company a ring. If there are more complex issues with your stoma and you are experiencing sore skin or leaks and need to speak to a Stoma Care Nurse, your Delivery Company will guide you where to get more support and advise from.
- Your delivery company can also help arrange some free samples for you to try after discussions about what you feel you are needing.
What can I order?
Stoma Care Delivery companies are independent, so will provide all brands of stoma pouches for colostomies, ileostomies and urostomies from any manufacturer. If you have a less commonly used product and they do not have it in stock, they will order this in for you and keep you updated when it arrives. Here is a list of what they will they deliver:
- Any stoma pouches (for colostomies, ileostomies and urostomies) & accessories
- Junior ostomy products are also available
- Urology products such as catheters, sheaths, leg bags, night bags & nightstands
- Stoma irrigation supplies
- Trans-anal irrigation equipment
- ACE catheters
If your pouch needs cutting to a specific size or shape, send them your personal template which will be kept on your record. It will be used to cut the aperture (hole in the pouch for your stoma). This will be done for every order unless you tell them otherwise.
Complementary items in the delivery:
- With each monthly order you will routinely receive disposable bags and dry wipes in addition to your regular stoma products.
- For new patients who have just registered, you will receive a pair of scissors to help with cutting the aperture if needed
- A small travel bag to keep a small stock of stoma supplies in, for when you leave the house or go on holidays. This is very useful for popping in your car or in a large handbag, so that you have extras with you if needed.
- Bed protectors are also supplied
- Hand sanitiser
- Radar Key
- Can’t wait/Toilet Cards
- Travel Certificate
- Clothing clips
Goldcare Delivery Service
The Goldcare delivery service brings your prescription stoma products straight to your front door. Learn more about Goldcare here.